On Jul 26, 2009, at 6:13 PM, lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:

>>> What's this about? Hex code for transparency? I like the sound of
>>> this
>>> but it's the first I have heard....
>>>
>>> I notice you have put 'rgba' is that for alpha? Can I have opaque
>>> colours too?
>>
>> of course:
>> p {background: rgba(0,0,0,.8); color: rgba(255,255,255,1);}
>>
>> 0 is fully transparent, 1 is fully opaque. the 'a' in rgba means
>> alpha-
>> channel (transparency)
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#rgba-color>
>> doesn't work in IE 6, 7 & 8, though.
>

> Doesn't the keyword transparent ring any bells? just saying
> background:
> transparent; should work in any browser.

IE 6 (and to a lesser extend IE 7) has (very) limited support for that
keyword anyway.

p {border: medium solid transparent;} gives interesting effects in
those browsers (should work in IE 7, but I saw it doing something
stupid recently; don't remember the exact context though.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/