On Aug 10, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Lalena wrote:

> Is computer-screen resolution still 72 dpi? Or do some of these
> newfangled monitors have a higher resolution?
> Thanks!
> Suzi

It think it's still best to optimize your images for 72dpi - 96 max -
because higher DPI images create larger file sizes, which make your
web pages larger file sizes, which make them longer to download. Most
people will not wait longer than 3-10 seconds for your page to
download, and most of those will only wait closer to 3 seconds, unless
they really, really, really want to see your site. Download times are
going to be, in most part, due to the quality of internet connection
the end user has, not what kind of monitor they use.

Monitor size would affect the width of the page you're creating. You
have to plan for people using 12-inch monitors/netbooks all the way up
to my behemoth 30-inch monitor, or bigger! We haven't even discussed
the mobile user, so page size is going to be even more important.
Mobile phone internet speeds remind me of something closer to dial-up,
so you might want to serve up a mobile-based style sheet too. People
on small monitors will have to scroll, scroll, scroll - horizontally
and vertically. They really hate that. People on huge monitors will
see a lot of air on the sides of your page, but if you set your
content box width for something like 100%, you could easily end up
with a foot-and-a-half-long text line of small type. Not exactly
readable.

Theresa