I design and artwork all of my websites at 300dpi, as if print (can
come in handy if you need to print your websites in a brochure etc.).
I can't stand grainy images and if I work in 72dpi the results are
crap. 'Save for web' from a 72dpi artboard will have worse results
than a 300dpi artboard (plus you dont have to look at a poor quality
all the way through). In fact I make all my designs in illustrator
because anti aliasing can be a real bummer (especially for mobile -
try 'view/pixel preview in Ai to see what I mean 15 x 15px (favicon
stylee)).

Here's a very interesting link to what the brains could make for us.....

http://swieskowski.net/carve/

Now that's save for web!

I am really annoyed at the moment because my browser of choice is
Safari. It's not managing the colours very well at all, when even the
satanic IE sees what firefox does.

One reason I can think of as to why this can be ON topic is if you
have a background image set at 100% width and height it will stretch
and shrink keeping the image in place. If it was high-res it would
look better than low-res on a big window. Or maybe I just dreamt that
in my first games with background images. I might have got that wrong,
another way to put it is that I can make a 72dpi image, 100px x 100px
and make it twice as big (resolution aside) via CSS.

I'm a little drunk, sorry.

CB