Brian M. Curran wrote:

> This is interesting. Originally I thought that when I was sizing my header
> tags, using percentages, that the base size was that of the <p> tag. However,
> when I do the following in my stlyle sheet, the <p> text size changes, but
> the header text size doesn't. The nav bar text size also doesn't change. Like
> I said, I thought the working point for all text was the <p> tag
>
> body {
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> /* ===== font-size: small; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; ===== */
> font: 100%/1.4 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;
> background: #fff;
> color: #000;
> }
> p { font-size: 75%; }
>

> I also don't understand the font family change and the 100%/1.4. By
> increasing or decreasing 1.4 I can see the effect that it has, but why you
> recommended it I don't know.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian

The base is default (100%)

p { font-size: 75%; }/*makes the paragraphs 25% less than default*/
1.4 is line-height. For example, within paragraphs <p>...</p> its the "leading"
or space between the rows of text in a paragraph. Default line-height is:
normal (1.2 or 1.3) depending on the browser. Since your "measure"
(line-length) is narrow (the columns are narrow) 100%/normal would be more
appropriate than 1.4.
Re-set the headings to the percent value you desire. Same for the nav.