> And I would rather avoid ruling in pixels for anything (aside from
> raster images) because I am going for resolution-independence here,
> and although I know most browsers these days zoom everything by
> default, I wouldn't want the layout to break for someone with a large
> font size and an older browser, or with text-only zoom on.

If you don't define things in whole numbers of pixels, then you'll have to deal
with rounding errors when dealing with fractional pixels, in which case you
will never get the shifting to go away completely.

Just a thought though, have you tried making the border 0?  It should still
have the rounded corners, and then you'll have the padding be the same all the
time, and no border + padding rounding.

---Tim