Since I only want one color behind the text, I tried Philippe's method
of just dropping the border declarations altogether and it worked
without a hitch in Firefox, Chrome, and IE. I didn't realize that
border-radius didn't pertain solely to borders. (It really *should* be
renamed...)

I did go back and test it with both border-width:0 and
border-color:transparent as well to see if they would yield the same
results, and they did. This enables one to use different color borders
without the shift.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!
-Hugh