Hello,

I am working on a largeish web application that has a lot of legacy CSS and
HTML. I am currently working on a plan to refactor all of the HTML and CSS.
The code is currently bloated, poorly written, and in desperate need of an
update. On all new sections of that application that I create I want to use
more modern, semantic code but in order to do so I need a method that allows
me to progressively improve the code throughout the site.

Here's what I am thinking:

The site, as is the norm, has a common header and footer. It has a few
configurations (two column, one column, etc) in a few places. I would like
to start at the root: update the main elements that span the whole site:
header, footer, basic structural elements like the columns, etc. The idea is
that by updating these elements first I ensure that any new sections of the
application can use "pure" code.

The idea of starting with a reset style is a bit of a nuclear option though.
It would most likely ruin all the rest of the styles in the site. So my idea
is to create a bomb-shelter for legacy code. For now I would wrap sections
that have yet to be updated in <div class="legacy"> and use this to reverse
the effect of the reset style. This would give me a reprieve until I can
update each of these sections.

I know that this would temporarily bloat my css. I can live with a little
temporary bloat on the road to css zen.

Here's my question:

Does anyone know of a set of unreset styles? Something that will give me a
comprehensive set of defaults that will get as close as possible to a
cross-browser norm?

Thanks,
Samuel Mikel Bowles
Design Director, Atomic Object