Jay Tanna wrote on 18 November 2009 at 12:27

> You haven't said which DIV is causing the problem.  You have only one
div in your
> snippet so it is difficult to comment.

I think that's probably because the OP doesn't really know where the
problem lies, hence their post to this list (and that's not meant as a
slight on the OP). But yes, we really need more information. See further
down.

> Generally, floated elements are relatively positioned within one
another.

Ah, no I don't think so, but someone a little more familiar with the
specs may help us out here. I can see what you are trying to say, but
since relative positioning is a type all unto itself, this is not the
best way to describe the behaviour. It is true you can relatively
position a float, but this is not the default.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#relative-positioning
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#floats

And the below explains how floats are positioned.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#float-position

>Therefore, a non floated DIV will stretch 100% while floated DIV will
be
> positioned relatively and automatically shrink to match the width of
> the content inside itself.

Right, a div in the 'normal flow' will expand to the window width,
whereas a float will shrink-wrap to its content (usually!), and not
because it has relative positioning. It's the float that causes the
shrink-to-fit, and nothing else.

> Have you got a sample page where we can have a look at to see what is
going on.

I wrote in my original reply on 18 November 2009 at 09:49

> Since you can't send the page (understandable in this case) is there
> any chance of stripping it down to a test case and posting it
elsewhere,
> or at the least cutting and pasting the entire form (and not just the
div
> from earlier).

And Jeff responded to the list with

> Sorry about that! My boss is Marc with a c. I am going to look into it
> little more and if I can't find the solution then I will try to strip
the form
> out. Thanks for helping out with this.

So we will just wait and see how he gets on I suppose.

Mark