jeffrey morin wrote:
> Hey Everyone
>
> I am finding an IE bug that seems odd. I have a div with two inputs inside
> of it. the div is floating right and one of the inputs is floating left and
> the other right to create some space. here's what it looks like

> <input class="float:left" />
> <input class="float:right" />
>
> This works fine everywhere but in IE. It stretches the containing div to
> 100% width. So I have to add a set width to make it play nice. For some
> cases I am not going to want to add a width. Does anyone know what's causing
> this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Since you can not provide a URL, then this makes it someone harder to
know the problem. If a container is floated right and has auto width
with floated children, one of which is also floated right, that will
cause the container to expand to 100% of the available width. I have no
specific test case for IE7- but is this your bug.

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/gecko/1-7~1-9/floats-inline-and-float.htm>

If so, give the floated right parent a width or don't float any of the
children right. You could possibly feed IE7- their own special styles to
help them along.

BTW, please specify which IE version you have the problems in future.
IE6, IE7 and IE8 are very different creatures. IE8 has few known bugs
and is vastly different from it predecessors.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/