Brian M. Curran wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm trying to put together a header here:
> http://www.brianmcurran.com/test.html . I want it to have two nav bars, a
> fixed position image, and for the black background to span across the whole
> page - while the rest of the contents only occupy a width of 780px. (Kinda
> like this site:
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=2753004&siteID=123112 )
>
> Well I'm working on this and hit my first road-block:
> I want the image to be in a fixed position - within the 780px width. However,
> I don't know why it pushed down my mainNav bar when I positioned the image
> "relative"? And if I position the image "absolute", it is in the wrong spot.
> Any advice?
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian

Put color borders (or background color) on the various elements so you
can what is where. Your sites revolve around architecture. Websites and
architecture have a lot in common. Both need to be engineered and
designed to withstand stress.

--Reduce the width of the top nav by 20px so it dose not extend beyond
its containing block.
--Assign position: relative; to #header
--You have two different heights assigned to the footer-- delete both of
them (let content determine height)
-- Delete the pixel height assigned to both  #header and #headerWrapper
and assign a min-height in em (so it will expand vertically with
*stress* -- font-scaling--, and the nav will not walk out the bottom of
the parent block)
-- Reset both of those em height values to pixels for IE/6.0 with the
star hack * html #foo (height: whatever px; }as it does not support
min-height
-- And so on ....
-- Validate

aside
-- are all those long-word and long two-word selector names really
necessary?
-- setting default on the body and allowing the primary content to
inherit it is always a nice touch for any site, even one dealing with
architecture (now, there's a way to be different, if I ever heard of
one-- an architectural site set in default by renowned architects is
virtually unheard of on the web).