Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> I'm afraid you misunderstood the question, or the OP misunderstood what
> "fraction bar" means. It means a character resembling "/" but with
> different  angle and properties, used to construct fractional numbers in a
> particular rendering, similar to that of "½".

It was pointed out to me, in private e-mail, that "fraction bar" means a
horizontal bar, and it seems that I was mistaken indeed.

I assumed the question was about rendering fractional numbers using fraction
slash (the page mentioned by the OP contains fractions 1/2 and 1/32). If it
is about rendering fractional expressions using a horizontal bar, then it's
a very different question, and even more complicated. It becomes even more
complicated if they should be rendered inline, inside text.

In principle, you could use lots of nested <span> markup, describing the
structure of a fractional expression, then using fairly complicated CSS to
position the numerator above the denominator and to draw a line between
them. It's possible to some extent in practice, though maybe the rendering
is not very pretty.

But it gets rather awkward if you want to put the expression inline. You
could use display: inline-block (which has wide though surely not universal
browser support) but then you would have to do some rather tedious work in
positioning the parts well and still keeping the height of the expression
sufficiently small (and try to position the fractional bar at the 0.5ex
height above surrounding text baseline, or something like that). Even
setting the overall line-height fairly large, this would be difficult, and
you would probably end up with reducing font size inside the expression.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/