Hi Troy,

> Although it may not be the best application for lists, I think using
> my method isn't too bad and it is attractive.  It's a bit clunky, but
> probably not as clunky as other options. The only issue I see is when
> there is a lack of styles, you'll be looking at numbers in lists with
> bullets. But, you'll probably run into this issue with other methods
> also. Here's some sample code..
>
> <ul>
> <li class="numerator">3</li>
> <li>2</li>
> </ul>

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. This has nothing to do with a list,
and the fact that CSS support is needed to make sense of this shows that it
is a bad approach.

Imho, with simple case like that we could go with:

class="to-shoot-off-screen">above</span> <span
class="denominator">2<span></p>

>From there it should be "easy" to move things around, shoot the middle span
off-screen and apply a border on one of the other span.

--
Regards,
Thierry | www.tjkdesign.com