On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, bruce.som...@web.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At http://www.maireadnesbitt.com/press/press8a.html I have an article in
> French and my English translation, in adjacent columns.
>
> Corresponding paragraphs of the original and the translation begin on the
> same line, although the paragraphs are usually of different lengths. This was
> done in 2002 -- brace yourselves now -- using tables.
>
> I now have more translations to display. I am not far enough along to figure
> out how to do this with CSS. It doesn't appear to me that any sort of list
> will do the trick. I can, of course, be wrong.

   Try something like this:

   p.eng {
    clear: both;
    width: 35%; /* adjust to taste */
    float: left;
   }

   p.fr {
    margin-left: 37%;
   }

   And fix the character encoding; you are serving the page as UTF-8, but the
character encoding is something else (ISO-8859-1?):
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/nesbitt.jpg>

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                          <http://cfajohnson.com>