Thanks for all the tips.

>> You asked the same question about the same site around a year ago, and
>> received an appropriate answer from Georg Sortun on how to make
>> corresponding paragraphs begin on the same line. Check the list archives.

Ow! I had completely lost track of that. Thanks.

I wanted to consult the archives today. At http://css-discuss.org/policies.html
there is a menu item 'Archives', but it is blind, not a link.

I have no idea why I seem to be "serving the page as UTF-8". I have no
meta-statement declaring the character encoding. Is it a question of what my
editor stores?

>> Typography: "rivers" and "lakes" are the gaps that run down the text-block.
>> If you do not see them,
>> view your entire page from top to bottom at +4 or +5. The correction for the
>> Web is not to justify the type.
>> In other words, set it flush left/scatter right.

It looks all right to me at screen widths of 1152 or more. "scatter right" does
not look very good. However, I will not be able to justify the German text. It
has so many long words, that it does not look good when justified at this
column width.

Even if this may be regarded as tabular data, the table-solution does not
degrade gracefully when the screen width is decreased. That's why I am
investigating the CSS possibilities. It is not a question of religion.

Cheers  Bruce