I am a volunteer webmaster for a couple of churches, and on one site all pages
have a header div across the top, and below that a navigation div floated left
with main content div flowing to its right.

One page lists parish events of which we have photos and/or video elsewhere on
the site. Currently, I just describe those events in paragraphs with links to
pages with the photos/video.  It works, but I recently decided it would be both
more visually interesting and more helpful to put an illustrative photo to the
left of the description of each event.

So instead of just paragraphs, I set up a <dl> with a series of list items each
of which is as follows:
   <dt>title</dt>
   <dd>image file</dd>
   <dd>text about the event</dd>
and used CSS to format it, floating the <dd>s with an img to the left, allowing
the other <dd>s with the descriptive text to flow to the right, and I put a
clear float in the <dt> to separate them, because there wasn't always enough
text to prevent the next list item from stacking to the right of the previous
one. I could probably fine-tune the formatting a bit, but basically it does
what I want.

The problem is that when I clear the <dt> it clears the previously left-floated
navigation div, which forces the entire <dl> below that, which I don't want!  I
tried floating the images right and clearing right on the <dt> which indeed
solved that problem, but unfortunately it just looks a whole lot better to me
with the images at the left.

I have the old/current version with just paragraphs, here:
http://www.holycrossoca.org/phot/photos.html

And the newer one I'm working on here (with just 2010, so far, in the "new"
format):
http://www.holycrossoca.org/phot/photos2.html

And the newer one with the images floated right and cleared right here:
http://www.holycrossoca.org/phot/photos4.html

I could easily do this with a table, and I suppose I could convince myself that
it's semantically tabular in that the rows are events, the left column is image
data and the right column is text data of the event constituting each row.

But I'd rather use CSS to format this. I confess that I'm "scared" of using
absolute or relative positioning because in lurking on this list, gosh it seems
like even the professionals have trouble making those things work right, but by
all means I'll consider all options.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Theophan