MB wrote:
> Bob Rosenberg said:
>
>> CSS is a way of changing the built-in defaults for how to display
>> text enclosed in the different tags.
>
> The "built-in defaults" ARE CSS. It's the CSS the browsermakers decided
> to have builtin. Technically, this is the case with Firefox anyway.

No, you are both wrong in opposite ways. The user agent defaults are
just style sheets and an important part in the cascade.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/defaults/UA-style-sheet-defaults.htm>

Note that <b> and <strong> have the same defaults (I think that there
is a mistake concerning FF) and <i> and <em> have the same defaults.

They are part of the cascade of style sheets from user agent, user to
author which we know as CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

BTW, the browser implementors are following the specs.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/