There was some sort of weird invisible character at the end of the
"color" rule ; that was what was messing up the rendered code. I
removed it but the hover still is not working! I just started using
coda (moving away from BBedit) and I find that something is causing
these strange characters to be inserted into my code occasionally. I
don't know why. Either way, the hover still doesn't work. I tried it 2
ways:

#nav li a:hover {
color: #FF000;
}

and

#nav a:hover {
color: #FF000;
}

I am sure it is something really silly, but I cannot find the problem.

And if anyone knows the reason why I have the other problem with my
thumbnail_grid div's position, please let me know! That's on this
page:
http://rorybernstein.com/francesca_proto/section_landing.html
The div called "thumbnail_grid" should be next to the "nav" div, both
of them under the logo. But the thumbnail_grid is getting pushed down
and sitting under the nav. Here is that rule:

#thumbnail_grid {
position: relative;
float: left;
overflow: hidden;