> And if anyone knows the reason why I have the other problem with my
> thumbnail_grid div's position, please let me know! That's on this

#thumbnail_grid {
position: relative;
float: left;
overflow: hidden;
/* border: 1px solid red; */
width: 100%;
}

Claude Needham already answered that one, but here's a repeat.

That "width: 100%" is throwing it off.  That says that it needs to take up ALL
of the width of its parent, which means that it can't go next to anything,
since that wouldn't allow it to have ALL the width.  You need to set the width
to something else, and keep shrinking it until it fits in there.  The best way
to do that is to set your nav column with percents too, and have the two of
them add up to something close to 100%.  (20 and 75, for instance - to give
some wiggle room for margins, padding, and rounding errors)

And your grid is off because your images are different heights.  If you make
them all the same height, it'll align itself.

---Tim