Shanna Cramer wrote:

> I frequently work on child themes and build custom style sheets in
> addition to the parent style sheet.
> Is there a way to zero out a style? Just remove any parent styling
> that was applied to some element.

No, you cannot zero out style settings, only override them.

For example, if a style sheet sets

body { font-family: Calibri; }

then you can set font-family for body to anything you like in another style
sheet, overriding the above setting according to cascade rules. But you
cannot nullify the above setting to that everything would work as if it were
not there. In particular, you cannot tell the browser to use its default
font-family or the font-family as set in a user style sheet.

The same applies to nullifying the effect of an inherited property (which
might be what you mean, as you refer to children and parents). Given the
above rule for body, you cannot say in a style sheet that the font-family
value be not inherited by children of body, like p, except by explicitly
setting font-family to some specific value.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/