On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson <ch...@cfajohnson.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, jeffrey morin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Chris F.A. Johnson
> > <ch...@cfajohnson.com>wrote:

> > >     No, it doesn't. It doesn't even look the same in FF if the
> > >    font-size is different: <http://cfajohnson.com/testing/form.jpg>.
> >
> > Couldn't you technically declare your own font size in px and avoid this
> > issue of browser default font size? I am not saying it's a good idea to
> use
> > px based fonts, but it is doable and with the zoom functionality of newer
> > browsers you'd avoid breaking layouts.
>
>    That doesn't take into account viewers whose default font size is
>   larger (using a minumum font size).
>
>   I'm not going to zoom every time I come to a badly coded site, then
>   return to the real size for another site.

That's not what I'm suggesting. I never really dug into this issue in great
detail before but I just tested my company's site with different default
font sizes and the text set in px doesn't change size. Only the text that
has fonts set in em or % change. So it seems to me that setting in px would
make it that size for everyone. The site I am testing with has a reset
stylesheet but it decalres font-size: 100% so I can't see that affecting it.
Am I missing something?

Jeff