> > Bravo for trying to support as many browsers as possible, and for
> *not*
> > considering the "universal ie6" styles sheet for IE6.
> > And when using it for IE5, you may want to remove/ignore some of the
> rules
> > in there: the CSS expression, all the elements that you know would
> not be
> > part of your documents, or rules you do not think are necessary.
> > For example this rule:
> > h1 img, h2 img, h3 img, h4 img, h5 img, h6 img { margin : 0; }
> > that follows this one:
> > img { margin : 0; }
> >
> > Or rules like these:
> > blockquote:before, blockquote:after, q:before, q:after { content :
> ""; }
> > blockquote, q {quotes : "" ""; }
> > abbr { border-bottom : 1px dotted #666; }
> >

> I assumed that any rules having no target in my documents would be
> ignored so there was no reason not to leave them there. Am I wrong?

Actually, it is the opposite, there is no reason to leave them in.
If you know that some rules will serve no purpose, then why would you want
to keep them in?
http://carsonified.com/blog/design/setting-rather-than-resetting-default-sty
ling/

> The problem is that I assumed (again) that the creators of the
> universal ie6 stylesheet had also tested it for "IE lt 6" and any
> changes I made would NOT be tested.

I don't think the author tested these rules in IE lte 6, because as far as I
know these rules are *ignored* by IE.
Also you'd be removing declarations or rules, not adding anything, so I'd
say the "testing" part is irrelevant.

--
Regards,
Thierry