> > Actually, it is the opposite, there is no reason to leave them in.
> > If you know that some rules will serve no purpose, then why would you
> want
> > to keep them in?
> > http://carsonified.com/blog/design/setting-rather-than-resetting-
> default-sty
> > ling/
> >
> >> The problem is that I assumed (again) that the creators of the
> >> universal ie6 stylesheet had also tested it for "IE lt 6" and any
> >> changes I made would NOT be tested.
> >
> > I don't think the author tested these rules in IE lte 6, because as
> far as I
> > know these rules are *ignored* by IE.
> > Also you'd be removing declarations or rules, not adding anything, so
> I'd
> > say the "testing" part is irrelevant.
> >

> Thierry,
>
> Your remarks are interesting but they leave me a bit confused. For me,
> there are three possible ways of addressing IE less than 6 (for which I
> have no test machine) :

Hi Ellen,

As Philippe explained, the rules you'd remove are rules that serve no
purpose anyway.
For example, IE does not style "ABBR" unless you create a fictitious element
via JS  (something I doubt you'd bother to do for IE lt 6).
And I agree with Philippe about "CODE", the browser would apply that rule,
but does that styling make sense to you?

--
Regards,
Thierry