On 2010/06/09 12:17 (GMT-0400) Andy B. composed:

> I have a container that I am making from css. I have a few questions about
> fonts:

> 1. I put in the style for the container title font-size: 18M; What exactly
> does M do? The font size was REALLY HUGE. I would say around 160pt.

Simplest version: 1em = size of browser default, commonly 16px/12pt

Full version: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#em-width

> 2. When making font sizes, what is the best guideline for sizes? especially
> when you have no idea about the screen size of the page visitor?

The best is let the visitor choose. For the base size (setting on the body,
most main content paragraphs), anything other than 100% of the user's choice
is rude, telling the visitor he screwed up choosing the best size for his own
environment.

Further reading:
http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/font-analogy.html
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/article/web-fonts/
http://webdesignconferencing.com/design/the-web-is-not-paper/
http://www.w3.org/2003/07/30-font-size
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/defaultsize.html

> 3. What is the best font to use for readability? and is there a list of
> easily readable fonts out there somewhere?

Again, let the visitors see that which they chose for main content, setting
your choice for logos, headings and highlights, leaving the visitors to be
pleased to see their own choices  dominate. If you think sans-serif better
than serif (or vice versa) as the primary, then set the generic "sans-serif"
(or "serif"), which will leave which sans-serif/serif up to the visitor.

http://tinyurl.com/33e5kcb

See also:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=fonts&go=Go

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409