On 6/9/10 12:50 PM, David Laakso wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Andy B. wrote:
>>
>>> 3. What is the best font to use for readability? and is there a
>>> list of easily readable fonts out there somewhere?
>>>

>> Let the user decide; use the user's preferred font (i.e., don't
>> specify a font).
>>

> The vast majority of users, and some author's, do not know a font
> from a flagpole. Give it your best shot.
>
> A safe call for serif: font: 100% Georgia, serif;
>
> A safe call for sans: font: 100% 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;
> Mac users get Helvetica Neue. PC users get Arial.

I heartily agree with this last suggestion. After studying typography
and messing with various so-called "font stacks," I found that these
"stacks" give great results in the vast majority of cases. About the
only thing I might add is a larger line-height than normal. I like
something in the range of 1.4 - 1.5, but it depends on the content--the
line length in particular. So you might use, say:

font: 100%/1.4 Georgia, serif;

You won't go far wrong following David L's advice, IMHO.

Cordially,
David #321