I'm no CSS expert by any means but in your css file you have
html, body     { color: black; font-size: medium; font-family: Arial,
Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; margin: 0px; padding: 0px }
body { color: black; font-size: medium; font-family: Arial, Helvetica,
Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; background-image:
url(graphics/graytile.gif) }

As far as I can recall, you can shorten the second statement to
body {background-image: url(graphics graytile.gif)}

because all the other styling will be inherited from the first
statement.  Repeating it might seem easier from a development
viewpoint but you make a maintenance problem in that you have the font
stack listed in more than one place so you have to repeat any changes
you might want to make.  That's just extra work.

I would also add the generic sans-serif to the end of your font stack.

I am not sure about later IEs but IE6 almost certainly needed a fudge
to centre properly

You need

body { text-align:center }

and then correct your text alignment in the container div with :

container { text-align:left}

Hope that helps.  Please say if that fixes your problem.

Regards

Lesley