John D wrote:

>> Well, you can, but not using a pseudoelement and inline CSS. Why would you
>> be restricted to inline CSS?
>
> Because Google Websites (http://sites.google.com) does not allow editing of
> headers to introduce external style sheets or header styles.  That is the
> problem.  It is a free site and there are no Ads so ideal for students.
> Uploading of files is also not allowed.

Hmm, "ideal" is not a word I would use for Google sites.
The last time I tried to create a site there, there
were over 80 uncorrectable errors (all due to Google),
at which point I abandoned any hope of ever being
able to successfully host a site there.  On re-checking
today, I see there are still 77 uncorrectable errors,
so I cannot in all honesty recommend Google sites to
anyone.

Philip Taylor