This response is heading into off-topic land, but here's what we've come up
against. (And we also had some trouble coming up with more current
"best-practices" information as well as data on current device stats.)

We've done a couple of mobile versions of sites recently, and what we found
was that for mobile we actually wanted to emphasize different content than
we did on the desktop version of the site. On a site for a large shopping
complex, for the full version of the site, they have crammed a ton of
information into the site. It's not bad, mind you, but the site contains a
LOT of information. When we started looking at it with mobile in mind, we
started stripping out a lot of that information. Someone sitting in front of
a desktop machine or a laptop might browse through various information on
the site, but when someone loads the site with a cell phone, we're assuming
that most of the time they're after specific information...hours, location,
contact info, maybe a check to see what sales, special offers or events a
specific store at the center might have. I would be quite surprised to
discover that many, if any, people ever pulled up the site on a phone just
to learn more about the center itself, so some of that information is not on
the mobile version, while the parts that are on the mobile version are given
less focus. But the information about whether or not the dog park is open at
the moment is stuck right smack into the opening screen along with the hours
of operation, so they are very easy to find.

Given that we only wanted to present half or two-thirds of the content that
was on the full site on the mobile version, it seemed silly to try to
accomplish that with just a different stylesheet. So we set up a separate
mobile version of the site. What struck us as interesting was that the new
focus on mobile felt a lot like what we were doing 10+ years ago when
developing full websites, in regards to optimizing content and size, and
stripping out fancy bells and whistles. :-) Not that we don't still think
about those things, but our approach has definitely shifted in the last 10
years. It was kind of fun to step back and look at it all with fresh mobile
eyes, and yet frustrating at the same time to find ourselves once again with
a huge pile of devices/browsers that were all different sizes with a hugely
vast range of functionality and support.

And back to CSS, I was actually quite pleased to discover that the full
website, even WITH the bells and whistles (and flash and js slideshows and
some relatively heavy CSS lifting) displayed precisely as desired on some
phones, with 100% functionality.

Jeniffer

Jeniffer Johnson
OffLead Productions