Climis, Tim wrote:
I'm a bit late and maybe wet behind the ears, but would making the
container "display: table;" and the UL "display: table-cell;" work?
Perhaps with a spot of JavaScript to turn them into an HTML table for
poor old IE 7 and older?

I think there'd have to be a third element in there to set as display:
table-row.

---Tim

Not quite true. If display: table-row is not given then, an anonymous table-row is generated [1].

1. <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#anonymous-boxes>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/