Tim Climis wrote:

Using a server side language (eg php, perl, asp, etc) to shrink images, and
save them to the server.  That way you shrink the image once and use it over
and over again, rather than sending everyone who visits your site a big image
(slowing page load) and then making their computer work hard to shrink it
(slowing page load even more).

Sorry, an irrepressible urge to be pendatic forces me
to opine that ASP is a technology, not a language.
Under ASP I can program in any of a number of languages
such as C-sharp, JavaScript, and even (spit) Visual Basic.
Perl is undoubtedly a language, and I am somewhat ambivalent
about PHP (being Unix/Linux/Apache illiterate).

But I fully support your real argument :-)

Philip Taylor