> The red
> box *and* the document have nothing to do with the offset of that
> box.

Not entirely true.  Yes, the blue box is offset in relation to where it would
be without position.  But "where the blue box would be" depends directly on
other elements (previous siblings and parents, i.e, the red box, and the
document).  and since we're only changing the left position, the only thing
that affects that is the document, making the "offset in relation to the
document" a fair statement.

The thing that's missing, and should have been pointed out, is that if we added
an older sibling, the blue box would not be in the same place.   Although,
since this article appears to assume that we're working with non-floated block
elements, it would only move down, and not over.

Actually, now that I think about it, if there were a floated sibling, it
wouldn't have any effect on the flow, since floats are out of the flow... which
means that the only way to make the box move further to the left is by moving
the document further to the left (with either position or margin).  Thus the
box still ends up in relationship to the document.  It only breaks down when
you use a top offset.

---Tim