Hi Tim,

> > The red
> > box *and* the document have nothing to do with the offset of that
> > box.
>
> Not entirely true.  Yes, the blue box is offset in relation to where it
> would be without position.  But "where the blue box would be" depends
> directly on other elements (previous siblings and parents, i.e, the red
> box, and the document).  and since we're only changing the left
> position, the only thing that affects that is the document, making the
> "offset in relation to the document" a fair statement.

I don't think you can "explain" relative positioning that way, because
that's true for any positioning value, but fixed.

The offset (200px in that example [1]) is not in relation to the document.
If it was the case, a left-margin or a left padding on the reddish box
should have no effect on the blue box. If such styling has an effect on the
box, it is because that blue box is offset from *its* normal position in the
flow. *its* position, not the position of siblings, or document, etc. That's
the reference point for the 200px, nothing else.

[1] http://www.alistapart.com/d/css-positioning-101/example_d.html

--
Regards,
Thierry