@Barney: I didn't say that the script would automatically identify
those elements that require hasLayout. I don't think such a script
exists.

I've made two example webpages which require zoom to work in IE7: one
with zoom:1 applied using CSS and the other with zoom applied with
javascript.
roughtech.com/t/example.html and roughtech.com/t/example1.html

The rendering delay, which is in the order of microseconds, is almost
undetectable. The advantage of this technique is that the stylesheet
contains only valid CSS.

@Georg: The &hellip is converted to three periods in Firefox 3.6's
After reading your explanation I still don't think the huge amount of
non-semantic code is justified.  Sure you're site might work perfectly
in Internet Explorer 3 running on Windows 95 with a Pentium 200 Mhz
and a 14.4 kbps modem, but does anybody care? Why burden search engine
bots and normal users with cruft that shouldn't have got past the 90s?

~Chetan