What is your technique for checking this aspect? What I do other than
 using browswerlab and browswershots, is to change the resolution on
 my monitor. I also hold down ctrl and +, to enlarge the font to see
 how it looks. Are these proven methods?

New browsers can zoom whole pages, and that's enough to test for regular window-size weaknesses. Most new browsers also have one or more forms of font resizing, and that's usually enough to test for such resizing weaknesses.

1: I always test in the original "page-zoom" browser, Opera, and also set its 'minimum font size' to '32'. - On my system 'm.f.s = 32' equals 200% of browsers' default font size, which equals WCAG recommendation - as I read it. *

2: I always test in IE 6/7/8, both with regular font resizing and with accessibility font resizing. **
- When I don't have full IE versions available, I use IETester.
- Doesn't matter to me whether a site supports older IE versions or not, as testing in them always produces useful information about a site's integrity and design-quality.

3: Brief testing in latest versions of other browsers completes my test-round. Usually "nothing to report" for sites that survive the above reasonably well.

* A large number of web sites fails and become more or less unusable when subjected to 200% of browsers' default font size. Added to and/or included in that number come sites that are not properly cross-browser tested and/or rely on browser peculiarities.

** A large number of web sites fails and become more or less unusable when subjected to accessibility font resizing in IE. Low accessibility awareness is commonplace.

regards

        Georg