David,

I have discovered problems in IE 7 that

do not appear in IE 8 "compatibility mode,"

Compatibility mode is a weird best-of-both-worlds, neither-man-nor-beast
setup — I wouldn't bother catering for it and certainly wouldn't use it to
emulate IE7 behaviour. Hit F12 to get IE8's developer tools [1]: browser
mode is the second from leftermost menu entry. To all intents and purposes,
rendering, script handling etc are identical to IE7.

[1] Screenshot: http://barneycarroll.com/ie8_browser-mode.png

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carr...@gmail.com