Hi All,

I'm at my wit's end. I've started putting together an AJAX-driven site
(on local servers only right now) and one of my call-back scripts
needs to update a few rows of a table. So I tried encapsulating the
affected rows in a DIV, but when I update that the old table rows
remain and the new table rows appear almost as running text above the
table. This is HTML 4.01 Transitional and the W3C validator tells me
that I'm doing it wrong as the DOM doesn't allow a structure like:
entire table as it contains stuff that isn't known to the server-side
script.

So I'm hoping that CSS can come to the rescue. Presumably, I can nest
one DIV inside another and it may be possible to create a set of
paragraphs, divs, and spans to emulate a table. But how to create a
tabular layout, i.e. where the column boundaries are vertically
aligned and each column is the correct width to just fit the widest
content with cell content wrapping if required?

So far, all I've found is ways of creating fixed-width, fixed-height
structures while I need both to be dynamic.

All help, particularly pointers to good tutorials, will be gratefully
received.

--
Geoff