Geoff Lane wrote:

So I tried encapsulating the
affected rows in a DIV, but when I update that the old table rows
remain and the new table rows appear almost as running text above the
table.

That's more or less to be expected: DIV elements are invalid as children of TABLE and, worse, they typically get parsed as content preceding the table.

So I'm hoping that CSS can come to the rescue.

CSS should not be expected to fix issues caused by invalid markup.

Tim Climis has suggested the use of TBODY in his reply, and this might indeed help, but maybe even more obviously, if you need some styling for some rows of the table, why don't you just style the relevant TR elements? Maybe with the help of CLASS attributes on them.

If this does not help, please specify which styling you would need to apply to the rows.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/