On Mar 6, 2011, at 1:35 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Your test case has bad fall back. I don't have DejaVu (*) installed
>
> What makes it "bad"? Did note 1 escape your understanding?

Note 1  is buried several screens deep. My bad for not having the time for the
need to scroll down that far to find an explanation of a test case…

>> Both the lighter faces display perfectly fine on my systems, even at 10 ~
>> 12px. Whether I can read text comfortably at that size is another matter,
>> unrelated to the font-weight.
>
> I remain unable to fathom how weights lighter than 400 @12px size are
> possible, since it seems fairly clear the stem weights at that spec are 1px.
> I suppose the lightness must be due to expensive crafting to reduce pixel
> density of lighter weight fonts, creating the illusion of less weight by
> bleeding in background color, but how is the overall narrowing accomplished?
> 12px is too small for me to see any detail. Is letter spacing subpixel at
> small sizes?

http://dev.l-c-n.com/_b/dejavu-12px.png
(not that I would recommend it for body text, but it does display fine)

BTW - people may run into this ExtraLight face with Gecko 2 / Firefox 4 when /
if they specify 'font-weight: lighter' in their stylesheet. It implements the
modified spec regarding computed values for 'bolder' and 'lighter'
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#font-boldness
(the text in the CSS3 font module is somehow clearer:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-weight-the-font-weight-property)

> Again I'm puzzled. How does one validate a font face?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/files/dejavu/2.33/dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.33.zip
>  has 21 separate files, four of each type, except for the odd ExtraLight with
> only one. Are you saying Linux is wrong to supply ExtraLight when 100 weight
> book is called?

No - I'm saying that the ExtraLight face has a problem. When validating it with
FontBook, serious errors are reported, in this case with the kern tables.
http://dev.l-c-n.com/_b/dejavu-s-light.png
(this has been the case since v15, and has been reported to the Dejavu people)

Having that ExtraLight face installed on the system caused Gecko 1.9.0+ on OS X
to crash repeatedly at one time. I think that has been somehow worked around. I
know Photoshop is also very sensitive to invalid fonts. I don't recommend
having DejaVu ExtraLight installed on any version of OS X.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/