On 23/04/11 07:45, Robin Chapple wrote:
This is my first attempt at CSS for control of page display. Previously
I used tables and CSS for the text,

How do I set a width limit for anything that appears on a page.

I tries this which does not work:

body {
     font-family:  Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
     font-size: 16px;
     font-style: normal;
     line-height: normal;
     font-weight: normal;
     color: #880000;
     background: White;
     valign:top;
     width: 800px
     }

Many thanks,

Robin Chapple

Hi Robin,

That's working OK in Firefox & Chromium on Linux. Can you explain "does not work" in more detail? You've missed the semi-colon after "width: 800px" - I don't know if that might be causing problems in whichever browser you're using. If you're trying to centre the content on the screen, then you need to add "margin: auto;" to your CSS.

Separate point - "valign" is not a CSS property.

Hope that helps.

Lesley