Philippe,

> Oh but Mobile Safari downsized your page all right, to its viewport width
> of 980px; but then that downsized page overflows, and cause the gap you
> noticed. Mobile Safari is kind enough to show everything what's on your
> page, without clipping. Luckily, as otherwise some contents maybe
> inaccessible, due to your use of overflow:hidden.

I needed the overflow:hidden to make the bg image shows up. In my early
test, I did consider this maybe the cause but my tests showed that it wasn't
the case. It's absolutely possible I overlooked and still not seeing the
obvious with the newest test which has the overflow:hidden.

I even changed the 1014px to 63.375em hoping Mobile Safari is kinder to em
unit.

http://jsbin.com/iyedi3/ (no viewport nor media queries)

The layout uses quite a number of absolute positioning with relative
positions for the their wrapper divs, maybe this causes the issue?

> > also for landscape view, the viewport is 1024, and since the container
> that holds the bg image is 1024 it shouldn't cut off the image, but it does.
> This is the reason I thought it's a bug.
>
> Wrong, the viewport is still 980px (unless otherwise specified); don't
> confuse it with device width / height.

Alright. Good reminder!  However from what is presented in the iPad Safari,
I am still not convinced this is the overflow issue for two reasons:

1) The 1500px background is outside the #container which has 1014px width
and previously with overflow:hidden.  It belongs to #container-wrap which
has a 100% width.

2) In my previous test (http://jsbin.com/aholi4/) which contained
the overflow:hidden, in which the upper top green bar is a repeated
background image with 100% width declared, and belongs to #sitewrap, which
you commented unnecessary, so in the newest test I removed the 100%.

Both the #container-wrap and #sitewrap are the the outer divs
for #container, so they should not be cut off in my understand of how CSS
works.

Thanks!

tee