On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Venditelli, Daniel - Web Development Administrator
wrote:

> I've stumbled upon an issue with clearing floats that I feel like I've
> done before but for the life of me cannot figure out today. I'm either
> too close, too tired, too low on caffeine or getting a bit senile and
> misinterpreting the CSS box model and sibling relationships.

You forgot to blame the weather :)

> In the linked example, I would like "paragraph 2" to clear just the
> "floating content" in the white block as it does in IE 7, NOT the
> "Green-ish Container" as it is currently doing in both Chrome 12 and
> Firefox 4.
>
> - http://www.ci.yuma.az.us/share/TEST-float-quirks.htm
> Is it really proper for the child to clear not only it's own siblings
> but also any parent's sibling's child as well?

Yes, in this case. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#flow-control

[quote]
The 'clear' property does not consider floats inside the element itself or in
other block formatting contexts.
[/quote]

In your case, the 'Green-ish Container' is in the same block formatting context
as the 'Blueish Container'.

It 'works' as your would like (parag2 positioned just below the white floated
box) in IE7 & 6 because that hellish thing called 'hasLayout' - you set a width
on the parent cyan blue box, width triggers 'hasLayout'; 'hasLayout'
establishes a (new) block formatting context [1].

To solution is to isolate the 'Blueish Container' from the 'Green-ish
Container' by having 'Blueish Container' become a new block formatting context.
9.4.1 lists properties that establish a new block formatting context.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

Philippe
--