On 10/11/11 10:09 PM, john petroshius wrote:

I wonder if any of you learned CSS folks could tell me whether there
are any downsides or disadvantages to using what might be called the
'negative bottom margin' technique of creating columns that have
equal height regardless of how much content may be contained...a
student uploaded a quick example:

http://dev.xmd.be/ART267/column2.html

I'd been touting the old 'faux column' standby, using graphics in a
wrapper div that sets the illusion of equal heights for div's nested
inside...which seems to work fine...

...or is there another alternative method that is recommended beyond
either of these?

Sorry about the delayed reply. I wonder if you have seen Nicolas
Gallagher's article on uses for CSS 2.1 generated content?[1]
About 1/3rd way in, he describes a "fluid faux columns" technique that
may be a sturdier solution - although I have not tried it.

The background image "faux columns" works well, but I found several
problems with the "negative bottom margin" technique, particularly in
older IE as well as with page zoom. :(

[1]
<http://nicolasgallagher.com/multiple-backgrounds-and-borders-with-css2/>
--