> On Oct 21, 2011, at 1:28 AM, Elli Vizcaino wrote:
>
>>>  As David notes, the descendants of a box with opacity applied don't
> inherit that opacity. The property is applied to the (block) box and all its
> descendants. If what you want is a box with a semi-transparent background and
> /
> or borders, then rgba() or hsla() colours are your friend.
>>>

>>  That seems like a contradictory statement and leaves me still somewhat
> confused. What I'm getting at is, if a box element gets an opacity property
> with a value of  0.5 for a semi transparent effect, do child elements such as
> text then display in the browser at that same semi-transparent value?
>
> There is absolutely no contradiction. Opacity is applied to the box and
> everything that box contains. The box as a whole becomes translucent. Opacity
> is
> _not_ something to make just a transparent background. You can compare it to
> reducing the opacity of a layer group in Photoshop.
>
> View this testcase and compare the 2 boxes:
> http://dev.l-c-n.com/_temp/translucent-transparent.html
>
> Philippe
> --
> Philippe Wittenbergh
> http://l-c-n.com/

The photoshop analogy helps me get it but then I guess I must be
misunderstanding the meaning of inheritance, can you tell me what exactly does
the definition of inherit mean?

Elli Vizcaino
Creating meaningful connections and compelling
experiences through the art & beauty of design.
http://www.e7flux.com