On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM, John <j...@coffeeonmars.com> wrote:
> I would like to arrange some text into multiple columns...I'm thinking 4 or
> 5; the text in question lends itself to that.
>
> Looking at the tutorial linked below, it says IE doesn't support it. It
> doesn't specify IE 6 or 5, just IE, and I assume it means ANY IE, which isn't
> too cool.
>
> Can anyone recommend a method of arranging text in multiple columns that IE
> does support...at least the newer versions?
>
> thank you!
>
> John
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/css3/css3_multiple_columns.asp

The old way is to use separate elements to contain the different
columns, then use floating or positioning to get the desired layout.

There's an even older way that actually still works, but if I even
mention tables here I'll get burned to a crisp... oops... I hope no
one heard that :)

The main benefit of the new CSS3 way is that you can let the browser
figure out where to start the new column.

If you already know where you want your columns to break, just use the old way.

Otherwise, you could use the columns for the browsers that support it
and think of the IE rendering as a graceful degradation.  I think this
is the option I would choose.

In general, I wonder if the combination of Firefox and Chrome users
have enough market share that we can begin to consider a limited
deprecation of IE-specific code... Ya I know... That's probably just
wishful thinking.

Don't forget about Google Chrome frame:
    http://blog.chromium.org/2011/06/introducing-non-admin-chrome-frame.html
    http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/devguide.html#chrome-frame

http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/chrome-frame-getting-started#TOC-Detecting-Google-Chrome-Frame-and-P

I copied this from the HTML5 Boilerplate code:
    <!--[if lt IE 7 ]>
    <script
src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/chrome-frame/1.0.3/CFInstall.min.js"></script>

<script>window.attachEvent('onload',function(){CFInstall.check({mode:'overlay'})})</script>
    <![endif]-->

It'd be a pain in the butt, but it would probably be possible to
emulate columns using Javascript.  It might be an interesting
experiment, but I guess it would be a waste of time in the grand
scheme of things.

--
Vince Aggrippino
a.k.a. Ghodmode