On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM, John <j...@coffeeonmars.com> wrote:
 I would like to arrange some text into multiple columns...I'm
thinking 4 or 5; the text in question lends itself to that.

John
----

Good morning, John...

I don't see any reason why one could not use CSS to create a layout of
more than three columns. Granted, it gets a little problematic in
terms of readability in narrow windows, but nowadays media queries
comes to the rescue for that-- and for most all of us IE/6 and down
are no longer an issue. But hack your way from here to eternity if
need be. Either way, an easy way to do this is to use this layout
generator and add a column[s]:
<http://fu2k.org/alex/css/onetruelayout/example/interactive>

Another possibility may be to use "CSS tables." These are not table
layouts -- in the traditional sense of that concept -- they just look
and behave like them.

This is a simple example of a "css table" layout I did with three
columns that folds to one column for mobile-handsets.
<http://ccstudi.com/site/portfolio/z/index.html>

It is based on this concept of an equal height column layout by Georg
Sortun and is easily adaptable for more than three columns--
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/moa_34.html>
[if you read the article -- see link at bottom of his page-- he'll
show you how to adapt it for lower-life out of Redmond, too].

Good luck and best wishes,
~d

--
Chelsea Creek Studio