On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM, David Laakso <laakso.davi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM, David Thorp
> <mailingli...@allaboutabundance.com> wrote:
>  Just to clarify, what I mean is, as soon as I add
> "resize:horizontal;" to the div.sidebar {}, it breaks.
>
> --
> It is a little difficult to help because you seem a little confused
> about  CSS ["look and feel] versus scripting/programming .
> Nevertheless, a "quickstart" example. No floats, no absolute
> positioning, and no fixed positioning used. The page proper is a two
> column CSS Table. The left column -- that I assume will contain
> tabular data -- is set appropriately an html table. I have no idea why
> you would want one of those table columns to disappear but jquery has
> been  used to make it happen. I do not think that a vertical scroll
> bar to control the height of that table is needed, either. If
> anything, you might consider query show/hide 25 lines of it at a time.
>
> Open in a full window and drag to 480px mobile:
> <http://ccstudi.com/dt.html>
> Cursory checked in IE/9. Safari, Opera, Firefox, and Anroid/2.2.2.
> Best,
> Lawrence of Arabia

Hi Larry :P
You missed a few details.

 - He wants a header along the top, outside of the columns.
 - He wants the columns to scroll independently and doesn't want the body to
   scroll at all.  All overflow happens within the columns.

I tried to accomplish this using CSS tables and failed because of the
independently scrolling part.

The table cell expands vertically when there's more content than fits whether
it's a real <td> or an element with display:table-cell.

I couldn't get it to work even with table-layout:fixed.

--
Vince Aggrippino
Ghodmode Development