Hi Ted,

first of all, you use the tags that make sense for your content,
not because it is "css-ish".
If your data should be presented in a list, because for instance,
it constitutes a list of items, thats ok.
If it is tabular data, it should go on a table.

As for the alignment, you are having issues with css positioning.
You can tell the items n a list to display in rows several ways:
Using "diplay: inline-box" will make the lis behave like inline boxes.
Using "float: left" will float the items to the left.
Using "display: table" will present them as a table
(but then it would make more sense to use an actual table.)
The advantage of the list is that you already have a container for the list,
the ul itself, so you do not need the div.

CSS positioning may be kind of hard to grasp in the begining,
but once you get the fundamentals, everything makes sense,
so I would advice you to go further then w3school,
google will give you a lot on "CSS Positioning".

As for the files,
my trick to test a bit of code without the external files,
is to change the css name on the call to anything else but its name.
It doesn't return any error, just skips the loading.

Or you can comment out parts of the code
you do not wish to parse at any moment.

Hope it helps,
isabel