Personally, I hate the bottom posting....a waste of time to scroll through
sometimes many lines before I get to read a one or two line response

-Fred Hahnel

-----Original Message-----
From: css-d-boun...@lists.css-discuss.org
[mailto:css-d-boun...@lists.css-discuss.org] On Behalf Of Barney Carroll
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:30 AM
To: David
Cc: css-discuss
Subject: Re: [css-d] Can You Do This?

On 5 March 2013 14:15, David <grovesda...@linkhomes2000.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello, Thank you to all who replied; to my question. Firstly, can
> someone
please inform me how replies are made, do you leave previous conversations, if
so; top-reply; or bottom-reply?

I think the advised convention is to reply to all and not to top-post (as I
mistakenly did), and only to include past messages as part of your own unless
you're replying inline (like this). Official list policies are here
FYI:
http://www.css-discuss.org/policies.html

> Barney Carroll Wrote : I'm sure what you're trying to do can be done,
> but
"float the tables td's into place" is vague, in that we don't know what the
intent of 'into place' is.

> Reply:  All I wish to do, is keep all aligned as is, and move
> everything
up...

Did my explanation make any sense to you? I know floats and table layout logic
are a right pain to get to grips with — please elaborate on anything you didn't
understand. If any specific points feel vague, or didn't help you, address
these individually if need be.

"move everything up"

There are various ways of moving things up in CSS. First of all, decide by how
much you want to move things. Let's go for 4em for the sake of example.
Then there's the scope of 'everything': I'm going to take your `#content`
element, which contains the floated table cells within the block quote. My
suggestion would be to give it a negative margin. On line 83 of file1.css,
where the `#content` style rule is, I'll modify the margin property such that
the top value is no longer 20px but -4em, such that:

#content {
float : left;
width : 550px;
margin : 20px 20px 0 20px;
line-height : 1.8em;
}

…becomes…

#content {
float : left;
width : 550px;
margin : -4em 20px 0 20px;
line-height : 1.8em;
}

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carr...@gmail.com
+44 7429 177278

barneycarroll.com

> [...]

> float only works on block display elements, whereas table cells
> display as table-cell by default. Table cells will naturally appear in
> a row without needing float.
>
>  However, what you're doing is forcing float, such that the table
> cells implicitly become block display elements and lose their table
> display properties (meaning they return within rows, no longer share
> heights across rows, etc — to all intents and purposes the table layout is
> broken).
>
>  I'm sure what you're trying to do can be done, but "float the tables
> td's into place" is vague, in that we don't know what the intent of
> 'into place' is.
>
> Regards,
> Barney Carroll
>
> barney.carr...@gmail.com
> +44 7429 177278
>
> barneycarroll.com
>

> On 5 March 2013 13:10, David <grovesda...@linkhomes2000.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Files is here:
>> http://www.linkhomes2000.co.uk/main/calculators/linkmortgagecalcstart_005.php.
>>
>> Am I trying to do something, which can't be done? I'm trying to float
>> the tables td's into place. As can be seen (please ignore borders,
>> only for physical reference) this is not working. From what I see
>> they should float up, but wont.
>>
>> CSS: .boton,td {
>> width: 50%;
>> text-align:left;
>> float:left;
>> padding-bottom:5px;
>> border:2px solid #fff;
>> }
>>
>> .btop {
>> border-top:3px ridge #039;
>> }
>>

>> .tex3,td {
>> width: 65%;
>> text-align:left;
>> float:left;
>> line-height:31px;
>> border:2px solid #fff;
>>
>> }
>>

>> .leftbal,td {
>> width: 30%;
>> height:10%;
>> text-align:left;
>> float:left;
>> padding-top:0;
>> margin-top:0;
>> clear:right;
>> border:2px solid #fff;
>> }
>>

>> .farrighttex3,td {
>> width: 30%;
>> text-align:right;
>> float:right;
>> padding-top:0;
>> margin-top:0;
>> clear:both;
>> border:2px solid #fff;
>> }
>>

>> .four,table {
>> width:100%;
>> font-family:"Trebuchet MS", verdana, arial, sans-serif;
>> font-weight:bold; font-size:85%; color:#fff;
>> text-transform:uppercase; border-top:12px ridge #fff; float:none;
>> background-color:#369; border=spacing:5px }

Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to
anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have
received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and
delete the message.  Thank you very much.