Hi Philippe, many thanks again for the help!

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh <e...@l-c-n.com> wrote:
> Someone else should correct me, but IE 5.5+ supported the basic @media
> screen {} or @media print {} correctly. IE 5 for Mac OS X didn't
> though, but that browser is long since dead.
> (and yes that is what I use routinely.)

Oh, that's good to know. I did not realize that this was the case. I
probably read some misinformation somewhere (or I did not fully
understand one of the articles I read) saying that @media print {} was
IE9+ thing.

I'm going to play around with @meda print, because I do like the
thought of having my print styles within my main styles all minified
into one http request.

I'm still scratching my head on how I can start with a clean slate if
I have @media print in the same sheet. My mobile-first approach styles
are not contained within any sort of @media screen {} block, so
wouldn't they then apply to the print styles as well? Is this even a
big deal (as long as I override said styles)?

It's amazing how much work it can be to craft a good print stylesheet.

> It is a valid approach. For most of what I deal with, I have a generic
> stylesheet that can be applied to any media with some reshuffle or
> fine-tuning for (the limitations of) print media. Like I said, it
> really depends on what type of documents you deal with, and the
> (eventual) workflow.

Interesting. That's helpful to know. Thanks for the clarification and details.

For my latest project, I'm dealing with a content-heavy news site, so
there's a lot of articles coming and going and being able to print
them is a big deal for our user base.

It's kinda funny, because on top of having to contend with the options
of "which technique do I end up using", I'm also wonder when a print
style sheet should take affect. For example, what does one do for
non-article pages? Is it best to let the screen styles do their magic
and let the user print the site as they see it on screen? In what
situations does one override what the user sees on the screen and let
them print a print optimized version of the content; obviously, for
articles, but what about non-article pages? How do you determine what
should be optimized when there is no obvious focal point?

Sorry for my rambling, I know that last bit is off-topic ...

> Yeah, right that you can do; saves typing a couple of characters and
> eventually makes the stylesheet ever so slightly smaller… (the byte
> count really doesn't matter, mind).

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Just to clarify further, if I do use the @media print {} within the
same single stylesheet, then I should keep the "and screen" bit for my
other media queries?

@media screen and (...) {}

... if so, then, like I stated above, what does one do with their
"mobile first" styles that are not wrapped inside of an @media screen
block?

Thanks again for your pro help, I really appreciate it. Sorry if I'm
asking silly questions.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,