Le 13 mai 2013 à 19:32, Alan Gresley <a...@css-class.com> a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> Here are some general questions.
>
> 1. Are there layouts that can not be achieved by using multicol [1]?

Lots of them. 'Multicol' is not a general layout mechanism. It is a mechanism
to columnise text-flow. Handy for e.g achieve magazine like 2 text columns.
Mind that it is not necessarily ideal for on screen display.
Browse the (recent) archives of www-style for some example (threats with
[multi-col] in the title).

Flexbox is a possible general layout mechanism, another one is grid-layout [1].

> 2. Do people use both traditional style layouts (floats, etc) together with
> multi-columns.

You can mix rip and burn…

> 3. Is multicol still buggy in browsers. I have seen some spectacular ones
> with flex box.

Multi-col is reasonably stable across browsers. Flexbox is another matter; it
doesn't help that IE 10 implements a slightly older draft. Webkit, Opera and
Gecko implement the more recent one. Gecko is mostly a work in progress (I
don't think it is turned on in release builds). Css-grid is a complete work in
progress. The draft text also keeps changing and becomes more and more obscure
and complicated.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/

Philippe
--