> Except that to position the link inside the table cell isn't the only
> solution, Why not on a new row for instance? Why must the link belong on
> the exact same row? I don't see that.

Should the link not appear in the cell in which the content it relates to
resides?  Putting it in a new row would take the link out of context and,
arguably, be a misuse of the table row - adding a row for styling purposes.
 It would be acceptable (and semantically correct) to add a new row if the
links contained in the cells within that row were applicable to the entire
column (or adding a new cell if applicable to entire row) but if a link
only relates to the contents in that cell, I would argue it should be in
that cell.

> Sometimes you may have to resort to scripting for good reasons, but
> commonly I try and rethink what I'm doing in that case.
>
> I've found in my experience this type of thing only creep up on me when I
> don't have the proper control over the design ideas that must be
> implemented. I had a scrolling column design once which controls just "had
> to" have the same look on all platforms and the only way to do that then —
> known to me at least — was to get some scripts for the controls. I still
> thought this was unwise and in the end I also couldn't use that site for my
> portfolio. Everyone loses from such situations.

This isn't an issue of JavaScript making things usable, it's using
JavaScript to make things look the most desired way.  Think of it in
layers, get as close as you can with HTML, then as close as you can with
CSS, then finish it off with JavaScript.  I don't think you'll ever get
some elements to look the exact same cross-browser even with JavaScript
(unless you use an image, of course).  Use JavaScript to your advantage,
just as you do CSS.